Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a rebuilt 2001 225 merc fuel injected 2 stroke

Customer Question

hello .I have a rebuilt 2001 225 merc fuel injected 2 stroke with about 50 hours on it . Last
time out motor running ruff and exsesive smoke . Realized plug was disconnected from spark plug coil pack. replaced all spark plugs ran motor on ears until it reached normal operating tempature.Removed plugs to inspect and noticed that the cylinder in question plug was like new no oil or fuel on it but shone sign of fireing all fuel lines seemed in tact and no fuel/oil on motor. I believ this coil pack was unplugged for some time
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today.Would you please post the serial number of the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is one major problem with this motor no serial #
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello Charles, my name is Rob
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello Rob, Is the engine a Optimax or just an EFI?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
efi
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok, What cylinder was the one not firing?Do you have a multimeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think #3 port bank center. Yes .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also have some extra coil packs
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Port bank center would be 4.Locate the plug going into the air handler on the right side of the engine. There are 4 wires in it. Disconnect the plug . Use the meter and measure the resistance between the RED, and the other 3 wires . This is the end that is going into the air handler and not the harness side. Let me know what you get on each reading.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
am I looking for opened an closed or a certain resistance value
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry about last question
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
It is resistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Charles ,I will have to do this tomorrow after work .I am not sure how this works,will I be able to reach you again? Do you feel this is a fuel injector problem or electrical.could I have damaged motor with fuel starved cylinder?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Rob, If you have an injector that is not firing at all, yes the motor could have been damaged. The fuel is where the cylinders also get their oil. I will not know for sure until you do this test and possibly a compression test on all 6 for comparison. I will be online for most of the day tomorrow and tomorrow eve as well. To get to me again, just reply the same way that you have been doing so today. If you wish to switch to the phone, I have also sent you that offer and we can talk while you work on the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much,I will be in contact tomorrow have good night
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Thanks you too