Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Just ran my 2007 Sea Ray with a 4.3 Mercruiser. Engine would

Customer Question

Just ran my 2007 Sea Ray with a 4.3 Mercruiser. Engine would not run over 2000 rpm and boat would not come up on plane. Boat ran beautifully two weeks ago. only 88 hours on the engine and boat has been faithfully serviced every year. What could cause this?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? There is an endless number of things that "Could" cause the issue, and it would take some troubleshooting in order to figure out what the problem actually is. Is this engine MPI or Carbureted, do you have the serial number on it? Were you looking to do some back and forth troubleshooting with tools, or what was it you were looking to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel injected.
I can do troubleshooting with tools. I grew up in a garage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuel supply seems choked off. I tried to manual advance trottle on the engine directly. Seemed very stiff.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is Daniel
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel. Step 1 is to check fuel pressure while underway. It should be 40 something. (with the engine serial number I can give you the exact spec, but most of them run 40 to 45 psi). If fuel pressure is good, we get into looking at compression and ignition issues. If fuel pressure is low step 2 is to run the engine off of a portable tank and see if it runs better on the portable. Is that something you can do and get back to me on, or what works best for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I will have time tomorrow afternoon to test this.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Okay sounds good. Run he tests and let me know what happens, and we can take it from there.Have a good rest of your night.Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel, just checking in. Any luck checking fuel pressure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel pressure was not the issue. The engine is running in safety mode. There is a computer chip that prevents the engine from running much over 1700 rpm. I had to get a marine mechanic with the right computer to find the faults that are triggering safety mode. It's in the shop now. I don't need any further support.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel. If that is the case you alarm should have been going off and the buzzer would be beeping. You never told me the boat was beeping so I had no reason to go in that direction. I guess the buzzer is broken as well.Good luck!Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The alarm did not go off and that sent us entirely in the wrong direction. The computer indicated a long and odd set of problems. It may be the chip itself although those rarely fail.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I hear you. A bad computer would be something that could not be troubleshot over the internet.