Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I am putting a fresh rebuilt 1979 350 small block Chevy engine

Customer Question

I am putting a fresh rebuilt 1979 350 small block Chevy engine in a 1989 Bayliner with an Omc outdrive. The problem is that the 1989 small block I took out has a smaller bolt pattern for the flywheel and the coupler. I have the flywheel from the 79 & it will work. I found a coupler on line but it looks way too short in the photo. Hoping I can mate these up?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?What do you mean by you found a coupler online, which coupler are you looking at?Also, what is the story behind this 79 engine? Is it something you are thinking of buying? Did you just buy it? Can you return it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jason ,
I am Jim. The 79 engine is a motor I had rebuilt about 6 years ago. It has been waiting in my garage for a classic car to install it in. I have close to $4000.00 invested in this engine. Meantime I bought a 25 foot bay liner with a cracked block and wanted to put my new old engine in it. All the marine parts bolt right on it except the flywheel & coupler. The coupler I looked at on eBay appeared to be only a couple inches long where the 89 coupler is about 6 inches long. Nice boat , brand new engine . Was hoping I could put them together.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jim. Your "answers" here are going to be bad news for you no matter what. Before I get to deep, and I will tell you exactly why in a minute. Do you realize that at this moment you are a bit "hosed" so to speak? And that this is going to cost a bit of money whichever way you end up going? (and there are 3 different paths you can take that I will explain in my next reply, but all 3 are going to cost you a bit of money)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was afraid of that.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
This is a pay website, you have already paid the website to speak with me. But the only way I get paid is if you put through a good rating for me at the end. I would be more than happy to explain your 3 options, explain the hows and whys everything is the way it is and why it's not going to work, and also what you can do on your end. But I would expect a positive rating at the end though this is going to cost you a few beans and that there is nothing cheap or easy you . Did you want to continue, or did you want to call it quits?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
No problem. I will opt out. Good luck with your problem!