Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I bought a boat with a 1992 Mercury Black max 175 hp. It had

Customer Question

I bought a boat with a 1992 Mercury Black max 175 hp. It had been fogged and worked perfectly 2 weeks ago when we fired it up and I bought the boat. So today on fathers day we went out. Normally, on my other Black Max a 1994 135 hp. I gave the fast idle about 1/4 up, primed the gas line, choked and started the engine. It worked every time. Now today on this 175 I did not figure out the fast idle so all I did was prime it choke it and tried starting it. It turned over and just about went. Then all it did was turn over. So primed again figured out the fast idle put that forward. Choked and tried again all it did was turn over. Tried like 4 times. Then went full throttle on the fast idle. The battery was nearly dead. So, I pulled it out and came home. When I got here. I pulled the plugs they were all wet. Torched and dried them. Tried it again. Nothing. Then pulled the plugs again. Again they were wet. Torched them again. Cranked the engine without the plugs and with the fuel line disconnected. Then put the plugs in and tried again, choked etc. Nothing. Got anything?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today.Have you tested the engine for spark at all?The fuel for water?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel is good. Havent checked for spark. How do I do that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I suppose I could pull a plug and have my beautiful wife hold it while I crank it over a few times. LOL
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
The best way is with an adjustable gap spark tester. You can ground a spark plug and use a timing light as well .I would advise having her hold it, unless you wanted to sleep in the boat. :)
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
against was supposed to be in that last statement,