Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 90 horse outboard mercury 1997. When the throttle

Customer Question

I have a 90 horse outboard mercury 1997. When the throttle is all the way down the motor goes half the speed it should I have to manually go to the motor and push the arm back to get full speed. How do I fix this?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
If you remove the air cover over the carbs, and push the throttle all the way forward. Are the throttle plates on the inside of the carbs fully open?
When did this problem start, and when did it last work correctly? Is the throttle control box a Mercury or an aftermarket?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The shifter when pressed down all the way the boat goes half the speed. When I take the cover off the motor and look at the idle screw the arm that's attached that goes to the top of the motor I have to manually push it back to get full speed
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Did you read my previous reply?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes all is working properly and it's not an after market
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
When you push it back is it moving the throttle cable along with it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it moves freely. The bottom half moves but the top half that connected to the top of the motor does not move unless I push it back
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Is there a story to the engine. Do you know when this last worked correctly? Or did you just buy the boat and that's they way it is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have had the boat for about two years it work correctly January of this year
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Did anybody do any kind of work to the boat or engine, or take anything apart since January of this year?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have an idea what I am taking about? Or the area I am taking about? It's like its not connected to the lower half that's connected to the shifter
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I know what your talking about, you are talking about the throttle arm in this picture here. http://images.jamestowndistributors.com/engineImages/mercury_engine/COMMON/38326.png
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I am in the boat and put it in forward and push the throttle down the lower half that pushes it into gear moves back the the top part that's connected to the top have of the motor the gives you more speed doesn't move I have to manually push it back to get full speed
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The problem it has is a bad remote control/shifter box. If you look at the throttle cable, and the bottom of the throttle arm where the throttle cable connects. The cable needs roughly 4 inches of travel to fully open up the throttle linkage on the engine. What should be happening is the linkage inside of the shifter box pushes the shifter box end of the cable about 4 inches, and in turn the engine side of the cable pushes out that same distance, and fully pushes open the throttle linkage on the engine. If the cable is not pushing out far enough on the engine end, that is because it is not getting pushed in enough on the shifter box end. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So where do I start ? Can I adjust the shifter cable on the motor end ?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The problem it has is a bad remote control/shifter box. You would replace the remote control/shifter box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And that is located where?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The remote control is what you put your hand on when you want to shift and throttle up the engine. It's what you put your hand on.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Does that make better sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Okay good, I wanted to make sure you understood. I do want to make sure you are happy with the service I am providing. Was there anything else I could answer for you on the issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually I just fixed it the cable wasn't allowing it to go all that way back. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Oh.... Okay. Good luck!