Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My 35 HP Mercury Outboard - 1985 - sitting 4 years

Customer Question

My 35 HP Mercury Outboard - 1985 - sitting for about 4 years - fired up no problem - under load in the water it would not go fast and would not hold an idle - any ideas what to diagnose as the problem?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** need to verify you have spark on both cylinders and compression. The spark must jump a 7/16" gap on a spark gap tester. The compression must be 100+ psi on both cylinders with no more than 15% difference. If you have good spark and good compression then the issue is with the fuel system. To test the fuel system when running the boat try to get on plane choke the engine. Does it run better? Post back with findings. Squeeze the primer bulb if the choke makes no difference. Does the engine run better?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get back to you. I will check some of that and confirm.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok great.