Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have recently reinstalled my aq225d motor back in my 24 foot

Customer Question

I have recently reinstalled my aq225d motor back in my 24 foot bayliner. I have power going to everything on the motor but no power going to the dash or keyswitch.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Do you have a test light or volt meter, and do you know how to take basic voltage measurements?
Also, are you near the boat now and ready to work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have a test light
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Train near the boat and reasy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** yes I'm ready
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike. On top of the motor is a circuit breaker. With your meter check for voltage on both posts on the back of that breaker. Do you show voltage on 1 post, both posts, or no posts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that the 40amp beaker push button thing if so I have power to both sides
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
That is the breaker. Now do you have any power on the red wire behind the keyswitch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None of my gauges or switches work including my key
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Okay, the flow of power goes from the battery, to the starter solenoid, to the breaker, and then out of the breaker it goes up the harness to the keyswitch, and that's it. There is no other fuse (from the factory anyways). So if you have power at the breaker, but not at the key, the wire between the breaker and key is broken, and that is what the problem is. You have 3 choices at this point. 1. Spend years looking for a used harness someplace, because obviously they don't make them any longer .2. Spend what is probably going to be hours and hours pulling the harness out, slicing it open, and looking for where that red wire is broken.3. Go to home depot/radio shack and get some 14 gauge primary wire and a couple of crimps. And run a new wire from the breaker to the key switch. So those are your 3 choices When do wiring on boats if I know I have a broken wire someplace I will spend roughly 10 to 15 minutes looking for it. If I can't find it in that amount of time, I work on a plan of running a new wire. In the long run it saves my customers money. Does that all make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Very good. That should get you going. Power to the gauges does come from the ignition switch. Since you don't have power to the switch you obviously wont have power to the gauges until that is corrected. Was there anything else I could answer for you on the issue?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not,Just incase you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, just reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank. Questions do not lose out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next week with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating. And if I have saved you quite a bit of money, or saved you a trip to the dealer, tips are always greatly appreciated.Thanks,Jason