Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

12v low warning came on. After breaking down last year and

Customer Question

12v low warning came on. After breaking down last year and the battery going dead. I replaced the rectifier and installed a new battery. The warning light still comes on with the 12v low warning. I tested the voltage when off. 13 plus volts. When the machine is on its anywhere between 14 - 16 volts. I know that is unusually high, but never goes below 13. Im guessing the new rectifier is bad and or the 12v low message needs to be cleared in the computer. Thoughts??
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Take the battery out and have ot load tested. If the battery has a bad cell, it can make the regulator think that it is lower than it truly is and allow for the overcharging. If after testing the battery is good, the regulator is truly bad.