Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 2004 Sea Ray 280 Sundancer. None of the electronic

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Sea Ray 280 Sundancer. None of the electronic controls at helm are working. I replaced two of the three batteries. I have also checked all of the circuit breakers that I can find. The breaker box in the compartment at the floor of the helm has all of the controls that aren't working, (windlass, blower motor, stereo, cabin lights, etc) and there is 12.8V going to the box. None of the breakers are tripped. The main breakers at the motors aren't tripped and the motors will start. Am I missing another breaker somewhere in the boat?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been over a day... No reply??
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you.Are you referring to the sift touch panels or the rocker switches on the boat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The soft touch panels. The breaker box for the port side panel is in the engine compartment next to the batteries and the breaker box for the starboard side panel is at the helm behind a door. I have 13+V going to each box. Worth noting: both boxes have the top breaker's circuit working....meaning the breaker closest to the main power connect has voltage across it and the device works (12 V CLA on the dash). The rest of the breakers in each box have no voltage across their pins when you unplug them.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, What this issue is going to be is that the controller for the soft switch panel has failed. For some reason, I don't know if the manufacture had figured it out either, these fail after a few years of being in service. Could be something as simple as a failed solder joint inside the box. Since you are well out of warranty, if you know someone that is really good with electronics, you could have them open the box and take a look at all if the connections inside it to see if they are still good. If not, you are going to need to replace he box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both boxes failed at exactly the same time? I think I have a better chance at hitting the lottery. LOL I will check it out.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
It also could have had something to do whit when you replaced the batteries.It a power switch was on or the leads on the battery momentary arced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good thought but the power switches were turned completely off. I have a degree in electronics and know better.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Great, I never know who is on the other end of the computer. So you understand about the circuitry inside the unit. All it would take is just one broken solder and the unit would be dead.