Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a Pro V 175. When running at 4500 rpm minutes

Customer Question

I have a Pro V 175. When running at 4500 rpm for ten minutes or so, the alarm sounds and it shuts down. Can resume normal operation after resting for ten minutes. Have replaced impeller and water pump. Can't find a solution. Need help!
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today.When you did the impeller, was the old one still intact with all of the blades?How is the water flow out of the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The old impeller looked like it was in very good shape. The water pump was not in good shape, but the water flow is and has been very strong. The engine runs great and does not appear to be overheating. Only shuts down when above 4000 rpms for any length of time.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Have you removed and inspected the thermostats? If one is sticking, that an make the other head run hot/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure if my mechanic did that when he was trouble shooting. I will try replacing them and see if that works. I was told that this problem is common with this engine, so I thought by now there woul be a universal diagnosis.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
I have worked on several of the Pro-V and have not had an issue with a mid range overheat. If it were such a big issue, they would not be on the water anymore, they would have all been scrapped by now.