Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

2005 chaparral with 350 Mag MPI Bravo III out drive. When

Customer Question

2005 chaparral with 350 Mag MPI Bravo III out drive. When I turn the key, I get standard beep, then 2 additional beeps. Even when not started, it will beep 2 beeps every 60 seconds. It appears to be running fine, ball guages look good.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
In your car, if there is a sensor problem in the engine the check engine light would come on in the dashboard, directing you that there is a sensor problem and that it's time to have the car hooked up to a scan tool in order to figure out which sensor is causing the issue.
In the boat, different patterns of beeps mean different things. Boats do not have check engine lights, but they do have a beeper system. The 2 beep alarm specifically is the boat engines version of the check engine light. And what it's telling you is that there is a bad sensor on the engine, and that it needs to get hooked up to a scan tool just like the car would. Does that all make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It makes sense, but the mechanic says there is no error code in the system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, my name is Adam.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Adam.
If there are no error codes in the system then the engine has a bad ECM, as that alarm doesn't go off for no reason. At this point you have to call the mechanic's ability into question. Do you know what he is using for a scan tool, as some are better than others? Since you are working with a mechanic, what has he told you as a reason for the alarm going off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is thinking it might be the same thing a bad ECM. I do not know what type of scan tool he is using. I am working with him from a distance as he is at the lake and I am a couple of hours away. He says he is going to get a test ECM from Mercruiser to see if that is the issue. What does an ECM cost?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
They run about 1700 on average. If you have the serial number handy I can get you an exact price and part number.
To be honest I have a feeling he's missing something. Has a cheap scan tool, or doesn't know how to use his scan tool. The reason I say that is because on Mercruisers there are always 4 codes that come up every single time. These codes don't actually cause an alarm, they are for optional sensors that 99% of boats never get equipped with. So for him to say there is no codes would not be correct, there are always 4 codes. Do you want to call your guy and ask him (and play a little dumb) and see if he got any codes at all and then get back to me? If he comes back and says no codes at all, then there is a good chance he doesnt' know what he is doing. But, if he comes back and says that he got the 4 that always pop up on every mercruiser then chances are he is good, and the ecm is suspect. Did you want to do that, or what works best for you Adam?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will ask and get back to you. Do you have a list of recommended mechanics? Lake Wawasee area in Indiana.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I'm in Florida and have never been to Indiana. But I can get you a list of dealers and see if any of those have master mechanics/master tech's employed, would that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The closest that employs an actual master technician is going to be; www.bemarine.com1-***-***-****31 Lake Shore DrMichigan City , IN 46360United States Closer dealers would also include www.mainchannel.com1-***-***-****720 S Lakeside DriveSyracuse , IN 46567United States www.wawaseeboat.com1-***-***-****6521 E Cornelius RdSyracuse , IN 46567United States www.wawaseemarina.com1-***-***-****9171 E Ross DrSyracuse , IN 46567United States www.tippecanoeboatcompany.com1-***-***-****301 Ems T46 LaneLeesburg , IN 46538United States
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Any one of them honestly should be able to diagnose an ECM issue.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any further questions at the moment or did you want to call your guy and get back to me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get back to you after I get ahold of him.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. Keep me posted.-Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He says it only had the smart cradt guages that I don't have and once it gave a high oil pressure alarm, but the engine wasn't running and computer registered 50.8
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I don't follow you. He says you have smartcraft gauges? But you know that you don't have those?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, the only error codes in the computer were for smart craft guages that I do not have. He said that one time when the engine was not running, the computer showed a high oil pressure of 50.8, but those are the only codes.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Oil pressure high would be a code 84, and it means either the wiring to the oil pressure sensor is shorted, or the oil pressure sensor itself is shorted. And that would cause the 2 beep alarm. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it does. I will keep you posted.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Okay let me know what happens.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello, just checking in. Any luck?