Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 1977 Volvo Penta AQ 130D engine that is getting water in the oil. what are all t

Customer Question

I have a 1977 Volvo Penta AQ 130D engine that is getting water in the oil. what are all the possible ways beside the head or head gasget oil cooler ,or the water pump seal
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
How much water was getting in the oil? Was it to the point it was overflowing out of the dipstick, or was it just slightly milky? If you changed the oil out, how quickly does the water return?
Has the engine been compression tested?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi its milky and no I didn't have a cylinder compression test . ive changed the oil 3 times and after running 10 minuets it milky again
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Is the oil level rising quickly, like to the point it overflows?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If it's not doing that then it won't be the block. The 3 places you need to look are the oil cooler (which you covered) the head gasket. And finally the seawater pump. If there is a leak in any of those areas the oil will fill up with water. Did you have any further questions on this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pressure tested the oil cooler and it checked out. The seals are good in the water pump. Should I flush the engine block out with some sort of diesel fuel or kerosene to get rid of the water already in the engine block?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You don't want to add any kind of diesel to the engine oil, that hard on the crank bearings. Just get the cheapest wally world 30 weight oil that you can get your hands on. Run the engine on that. And then pump it out. It might take 3 of 4 oil changes to get the water outOut of curiosity, how old is the seawater pump? I ask because if the seals are leaking in the back, often times you won't see it because it will only leak when running, and not when you pull it out and look at it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's the original seawater pump, but I ordered a seal kit for it, and will change them as soon as it comes in. Can water get through the exhaust manifold if the gasket is bad?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
On the manifold no, if that were leaking water would get into the cylinders when the engine was shut off, and hydrolock the engine. You wouldn't be able to start it unless you pulled the plugs to clear the water.In my experience on these the seawater pump is the most likely culprit. I would pull it off and pull the impeller out and very carefully spin the shaft by hand and see if you feel anything other than a smooth slick bearing. If there is any kind of play in that shaft, the bearings, and seals are going to be shot. I couldn't tell you how many of those I've had to install new bearings and seals into over the years.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Was there anything else I could help you with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that should do me. Thank you and have a good day!
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome and I was glad I could help. Just incase you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, just reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.
Questions do not lose out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next week with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating. And if I have saved you quite a bit of money, or saved you a trip to the dealer, tips are always greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, just checking in, any luck?