Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2008 reinell and I'm trying to figure out if my lower

Customer Question

I have a 2008 reinell and I'm trying to figure out if my lower unit is bad or not.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** get the make, model and serial number of the engine and drive please?What kind of a problem are you having?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's a Volvo penta 5.7 liter. I don't have the serial,numbers

Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
What is the model of the drive? What is the probelm you are having?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I don't have the model of the drive. But I was Just about to plain out and the motor surged twice and then we we're dead in the water. The motor runs fine and pumps water just fine. No cooling problems for the motor

Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok it could be a few different things. This could be a drive issue a broken shift cable, spun drive coupler or a spun engine coupler. Possibly a spun hub in the prop. Depending on the model of the drive will help narrow down what is most likely the issue. First thought is the prop. Some props have a sacrificial hub that slips from age or if you have hit an object. So the drive model is important as Volvo makes a few different drives.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is,there an easy way to eliminate some of these issues. I will be home tomorrow night. Where is the serial number located.

Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
For the Volvo I only need the model numbers. Model numbers will be on the drive and the engine cover obn the top of the motor. To eliminate the prop just pull the prop off and look at the back side of the prop in the center is the rubber part of the hub you will see rubber peeling out around the hub. On the couple and the shift cable with the prop off start engine and shift it into gear. Does the prop shaft turn? Check the gear lube by removing the bottom plug on the drive. Post back with findings. The rest of the checks will be determined by the model of the drive and the engine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thanks. I'll let you know tomorrow

Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok I'll be here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't no if this help or not but I have a total of a 130 hours on the boat since 2008

Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
That doesn't change anything.