Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 1993 boat with a Volvo Penta SX Cobra that has a

Customer Question

I have a 1993 boat with a Volvo Penta SX Cobra that has a hydraulic line leak that can be seen under the boat. the end that is leaking is the end on the right side that goes into the hydraulic (lower line). What is needed to to replace this? Are there any special tools needed, the other end of it goes slightly under a cowl into the boat, is this hard to do? What procedure is needed after this line is fixed, i want it to be safe. thanks

note: boat is a regal 176 se valanti

Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
First make sure that the fitting it tight onto its cylinder. If it is, you just need to replace the hose. Normal hand tools will do the job. After the line is replaced, you will just need to fill the trim pump, and run the trim all the way up and down a few times to get the air out of the cylinder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok after talking to a shop over the phone (this was posted nearly 24hrs before you responded) and they told me this is a pretty big job, they said they needed to remove the cover, possibly the motor, and the job will be just north of $500. Who is right?

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
It depends on how the trim hose is routed to the pump. If it goes to a fitting on the outside of the hull, my way will work. If it goes thru the gimble ring and transom plate, then the engine would have to come out.