Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Trying to find safety neutral switch on inboard marine power

Customer Question

trying to find safety neutral switch on inboard marine power 350 EFI and if it cause for engine not starting
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello.Is this the neutral safety switch on the transmission? If yes connect the 2 wires on the switch together does the engine crank. This is just for testing purposes.What is the problem you are having?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes but I guess I do not know how to find switch and test to see if it is problem engine will not start
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
On the transmission look for 2 wires across from the shift lever. Does the engine make any sound when you crank it? Do you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no sound with cranking. I can get a volt meter. What am I looking for or what should I expect?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok the way this engine starts is you turn the key switch it sends voltage through the neutral safety switch to the start relay then to the start solenoid turning the starter cranking the engine. So we have to check voltage at the key switch, then the neutral safety switch then the start relay to the start solenoid. Now we can eliminate the starter just by jumping the starter solenoid.On the starter jump from A to B does the engine crank? http://i.imgur.com/SbZmo0h.png
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is good but I will have to resume this later when I can follow steps to troubleshoot as you are suggesting. I will have to get back in touch
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will be available.