Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 2004 Tahoe Q4, Its been stored all season. The Trim

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Tahoe Q4, Its been stored all season. The Trim switch does not seem to work up or down. The motor starts fine and the batteries are charged
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** trim make any sound at all? Do you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests?Were the batteries disconnected? Are you sure the trim cables are connected to the battery? The trim connects directly to the battery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trim makes no sounds what so ever (up or down). The batteries were not disconnected. I was lowered when I parked it and nothing was touched all winter. I do have a volt meter
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Could I get the engine model and serial number please? We need to check for voltage at the trim pump solenoids. Check for voltage on the red power supply wire connected to the trim pump.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine is a Mercruiser 3.0 SN number is *****
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok on the trim unit you will have to remove the cover to the trim solenoids. This is just a screw in the plastic cover. Then check for voltage on the red power supply E. http://i.imgur.com/MHBJ5UX.jpg Do you have voltage? If you have voltage check the fuse A. You could have the inline type fuse or this style here circled in red. http://i.imgur.com/T2vqIod.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had voltage 14V to terminal E. I check the fuse and it came apart in my hand. What size fuse was it?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The fuse is 20 amp. Post back if you still have an issue after replacing the fuse. Thank you.....Tan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will replace it tomorrow and let you know how it goes
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok Thank you.....Tan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tan,The fuse allowed the trim to go up. I am not able to lower the trim down. Is there a way to test the solenoid to see if it is bad?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Yes check the bottom solenoid on the small green wire for voltage then the large green wire for voltage. The small green is coming from the trim switch which activated the solenoid sending voltage to the larger green wire.