Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  23 years Caterpillar Engine Experience
30708357

I have a boat with C-18 acert engines in it. The local mechanic

Customer Question

I have a boat with C-18 acert engines in it. The local mechanic has said in an email "noted oil leaking from both valve cover gaskets and on one side from the valve train spacer. This is something that can be caused by back pressure or "blow by".
Do you know what the issue might be?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.
Yes high crankcase pressure or blowby can cause valve cover and valve cover bases to leak. It's rare but possible. Most often when there is blowby. There is a lot of air and mist coming from the engine blowby vent tube.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These engines are 10 years old but only have 750 hours and have been perfectly services per CAT specs. Is it really possible that bad rings could be causing these leaks? Or are there other probable causes?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
With that low of hours. I would not suspect a ring problem. 750 hours is not high at all.
I would suspect the valve cover gaskets just need to be replaced. After 10 years they can begin leaking. If there were ring problems I would suspect the engine would be consuming oil, or smoking out the exhaust, or have high blow by. If the engine has had good maintenance and none of the items I mentioned are a problem. I would just have the gaskets replaced.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hey.
I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks!