Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2008 25 hp mercury 4 stroke the alarm buzzer is going

Customer Question

I have a 2008 25 hp mercury 4 stroke the alarm buzzer is going off. I believe it is because it was over full on oil, but I changed it and its at the right level now. is there any way to clear the code on it
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, can I get that number please.
Also, when was the last time the outboard had a new impeller? Does the alarm come on as soon as you start it, or only after it has been running a bit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or291752 never had an impeller it was pumping water fine when it was running it came on the first time after I went about 30 yards then I shut it down for a few minutes and started it then it would come back on in about 45 seconds
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The outboard has never had a new impeller installed in it, since you bought it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, but it was pumping water while it was running
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
When the engine runs, 99% of the cooling water runs down and out the exhaust system, underwater, where you can not see it. Only 1% shoots out of the tell tale stream. Even if the impeller was only pumping 50% of what it was supposed to that stream would still look strong.
The engine has alarms for 2 reasons. Low oil pressure and engine overheat. There is no reset on the alarm, it will self reset once the problem is corrected. The cooling system impellers are a maintainence item and are supposed to be replaced every other year. They are rubber, and they will get stiff and dry rot just from sitting, and even if the engine hours are low the impeller still needs to be changed out every other year as it gets stiff on it's own. Being a 2008 motor, it was due for an impeller in 2010, again in 2012, again in 2014, and again next year. If this is never been done then the engine is overheating, and that is why the alarm is going off. Does that all make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes thank you
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome and I was glad I could help.
I think that should do it. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just incase you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, just reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.
Questions do not lose out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next week with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating.
Thanks,
Jason