Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

On a 1985 aluminum crestline Nordic (16'). It has 4 2X6's,

Customer Question

On a 1985 aluminum crestline Nordic (16'). It has 4 2X6's, screwed to aluminum beams going from front (at steering wheel) to back. 2 on each side. Are they put in at factory? Also, is 1/2" plywood o.k.?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Crestliner would have used marine grade plywood, and they would not have used 2x6's. As far as using 1/2 inch plywood, that really depends on how long you want it to last. I don't know how much you know about plywood, but it comes in different grades, with each side (or face) of the board having a letter assigned to it. With A being the best, ***** ***** being the worst. If you boat in saltwater, you really want to use a marine grade ply, it will hold up the longest. Marine ply would carry a rating of AAX. With both sides of the plywood being an "A" grade, meaning the faces are perfect. Marine ply is not allowed to have any voids or knots. The X means exterior grade, and that they use a waterproof glue. If you are boating in freshwater however you can typically get away a decent grade of exterior grade plywood. Something like a BCX is typically fine.
I think that should do it. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just incase you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, just reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.
Questions do not lose out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next week with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating. Tips are always greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jason