Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

John, i'm trying to resolve problem with my Yamaha 115 4-strok

Customer Question

Hi John, i'm trying to resolve problem with my Yamaha 115 4-stroke outboard. Runs fine for a while, but then motor loses power, and fuel gauge drops to empty
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Usually, restarting the engine fixes the problem for a while. But then issue comes back in several minutes.
Fuel is fresh. And I have water sep fuel filter installed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, I pulled the fuel pickup but there was no trash in the tank or on the fuel pickup screen.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.
The fuel gauge should have no bearing on the engine running with the exception of losing electrical power.
If you suspect a fuel restriction, remove the anti-siphon valve from the fuel line connector to the fuel pick up at the tank. Take the fuel line off, unscrew the hose barb, the valve is inside and replace it with a full flow hose barb of brass or aluminum.
Do you have access to fuel pressure gauges to test the fuel system?