Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 1996 mecury 60 hp 3 cylinder will only start when

Customer Question

i have a 1996 mecury 60 hp 3 cylinder will only start when i flip the man over board switch up and down while turning the engine over it will always start but wont always idle
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
Would you please post the serial number of the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
0G186087
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Thanks,
When you are starting the engine cold, how are you doing it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i set in the seat left hand on the key right hand is flipping the man overboard up and down untill it fires up
i do push the choke for a second or 2
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok,
Try this. Pump the primer bulb until firm, turn the key to ON, press in and hold for a count of three, then while still pressing in turn the key to start. The engine should start pretty easily if everything inside the carb is clean . You may need to advance the warm up lever on the throttle to help it warm up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it will run my problem is the fact that i have to flip the kill switch off and on to get it to have fire to the sparkplugs its not a fuel problem its a electrical problem of some sort
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it will run fine for undetermined amout of time might be 20 minutes might be 3 hours might be 30 seconds but it always loses spark
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cdi is good voltage regulator is good
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried to bypass the kill switch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes i have bypassed the kill switch i actually disconnected it right out of the switch box still nothing so i put a jumper wire on the black yellow wire right out of the switch box and had my son turn the engine over still nothing so why he was turning it over i tapped the jumper wire intermittenly against the ground bolt and it starts just like i was flipping the kill switch up and down
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Is there a history on the engine and the control box? Have you done anything recently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope it ran fine b4 it has compression on all cylinders if you take sparkplugs out and turn it over it all plugs spark put them back in still wont start with out flipping switch off and on
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
I it this way when the engine is warm as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it doesnt matter sometimes it does it when engine is warm sometimes when its cold sometimes not at all
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Intermittent problems are the hardest to locate.
Do you have a good quality digital multimeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes a decent one
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok,
On the engine, locate the blue and the blue white leads going to the switchbox. Unplug them. Test the AC voltage from one blue to ground while cranking the engine. Then test the other. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have one it just doesnt make sense if i take plugs out and the have spark unless stator is weak
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
That is what the testing is for. We will find the weak part.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i found blue one it had 83 volts did not find blue with white it had a red one it had 34 volts
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
That was disconnected?
Try removing the spark plugs and run that test again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will do it first thing in the morning it's pooring here and I am wore out been up since 5 this morning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I disconnected both those wires when checking voltages
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. I have surgery on my knee tomorrow around noon. I will try and log on in the eve if I am not too loopy.