K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  24 yrs exp. Inboard/Outboard mechanic Mercury/ Mercruiser, Volvo Penta and OMC, Johnson/Evin.
13730749

Volvo 230B SP: My Name is ***** ***** I have a 1993 Crestliner

Customer Question

Hello My Name is ***** ***** I have a 1993 Crestliner with a Volvo 230B stern drive and cannot get the sea water pump to pump water with the muff on at full pressure. I rebuilt the pump today with new shaft, seal both bushings and a good impeller. If I take the pick up hose off and put a plastic hose to input side of the pickup line the pump works fine but will not pull water from the lower unit. I cannot get the water to go up to the pump from the lower unit. I have both types on ear muffs but cannot get water from the hose to the pump. Any ideas.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the cam inside the sea water pump wear out or need replacing? I did tip the bow down and was able to get water to come up through the gooseneck that is on top of the upper lower unit so I know the lines are clear. Could use some advise that will solve this issue.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** very bottom of the drive in the front there is a hole did you plug that hole? The hole is about 1/2 in diameter. Look for that hole. Now your drive may not have the hole depending on the drive. But this is quick easy check. Are you sure about the engine model number? I find a AQ 231B?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well after pushing me to subscribe and making sure I provided a CC to start the process because the technician is waiting to answer my question I have to ask what happened to him? Check the time and you can see it's almost an hour and half so what gives?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
I'm still here waiting on you to do the checks I posted. I replied to your question at 2:28 and it is now 2:43.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nice try Tan, I didn't even post the question until 4:21 so I quess you didn't read mine and answered the wrong person, what do you think?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Here is my post. I am in Az so my time is different from yours.Hello. My name is ***** ***** very bottom of the drive in the front there is a hole did you plug that hole? The hole is about 1/2 in diameter. Look for that hole. I guess you are more worried about the time and my replies than getting help. I'm opting out by. Now your drive may not have the hole depending on the drive. But this is quick easy check. Are you sure about the engine model number? I find a AQ 231B?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do plug the hole when I use the ear muffs but still cannot get the water to go up to the pump. Does the cam insid ethe pump wear out?
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is Kerry
To answer your question, yes, the cam inside the pump wears out.
If the ends of the fingers are sharp and there are wear marks on the cam, it likely needs replacing.
I'd bring it with me to the dealer and compare it with a new one, if it's any thinner, replace it.
I have a plug for the drain hole in my toolbox, Volvos are notorious for this.
I put in the drain plug and make sure the muffs are on as tight as possible, then when the engine starts, I give it a good rev to get the water up to the pump.