Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I just bought a seadoo challenger 2000 with a

Customer Question

I just bought a seadoo challenger 2000 with a mercruiser 240 efi. the boat has low hours on it and was maintained great. my question is when I start it up and right away shift to forward or reverse the engine tends to die. only after the engine is warmed up a little does it not die. Sometimes when idling for a while it will also die - but start right up. Is there anything I can do for this - or is it typical of a 2 stroke ?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what yearly maintenance should be done as well? filters and spark plugs?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
Your issue sounds like the oil line check valve is bad. It is located on the bottom of the VST and has the line from the oil pump going to it. You will need to get a new one, then remove the old one and instal the new one. You will spill some fuel while doing this, as the VST is full.
For the maintenance, spark plugs, fuel filters and gear oil all once a year.