Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Johnson 85 HP will sputter but won't start

Customer Question

Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** you squeeze the primer bulb does it get firm or can you continue squeezing? Will the spark jump a 7/16" gap on a spark tester?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It gets firm. Definitely getting good spark. I'm thinking maybe something with the low speed jet in the carb or just simple flooding. Only tried about 10 times before I had to pack it up for the day.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Low speed jets won't keep the engine from starting that's what the choke is for. It is real hard to flood these engines maybe you aren't choking the engine enough. Try choking the engine longer. Squeeze the primer bulb till firm then crank the engine with choke on till it starts. Once it starts flip the choke off. If it still won't start check the spark plugs for fuel. Are they wet or dry?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that in the morning and report back. It's dark here now. Also will check the voltage to the choke to see if it is working properly.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok