Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

Actually, I have a Volvo set-up that is giving me fits. I

Customer Question

Actually, I have a Volvo set-up that is giving me fits. I tested my high and low pressure sides to the fuel pumps. The high jumps to 60 when the key is turned on, and goes back to 54 psi when the pump quits. The low pressure side goes up to 20 psi but back to zero when the pump stops. This is with the key turned on, but not trying to start the engine. Does my pump need replacing? And would this prevent the engine from starting?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Those pressures are fine. As long as your high is between 50 and 60 psi the pumps are doing their jobs.
Have you checked for spark with a timing light or spark tester?
Will it start or at least hit with a little bit of starting fluid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the coil several times last summer and it would run for a few trips then not. This year I changed the distributor cap and rotor, which was very corroded. It ran great for one day, and hasn't started in the last few weeks (I only have time to work on it a few hours a week and don't know much about what I'm doing). I have ordered a coil/modulator bracket to replace both at once, and ordered an oil pressure relay, as someone here said that kept his from starting in the past.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did try a spark tester and did not see any spark yesterday.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** live in Kodiak, Alaska, and have a SeaSport with a Volvo I/O set-up.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Steve. There is no such thing as a GSi-FF engine, can you double check that model number for me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It turns over easily and seems to almost catch fire.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Did you see my last reply?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, it is a GXi-FF, I think it is a GM engine block? The Model number is(###) ###-####I believe, or below it is the number(###) ###-####
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I don't suppose you have a scan tool, such as Diacom?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not, and have tried to find someone willing to bring one down to my boat. Should I be trying harder to get one?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
There isn't anything that can be done without a scan tool, it's required to work on the engine and figure out no spark issues. You really have to bring this one in, it's not going to be something I can help you with over the internet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thanks!
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
Let's try some basics, yes at some point a scan tool may be needed and the only option and or help but there are a few things you can check first.
First is remove the distributor cap, with it removed please have someone crank the engine for you while you watch the rotor button inside, note does it turn when cranking and is not excessively loose? If it does not turn this can mean stripped teeth/bad gear, cam not turning (you can remove oil fill cap on valve cover and while cranking see if rockers moving indicating cam movement, if this is all good then move on to checking spark at the coil output not any of the cylinders from the cap, no spark here indicates no spark from the coil either. On the coil with key on you should get a constant 12v hot and the neg should be a pulsing on/off/on/off hard to actually see but can be tested with a test light, this way you can test your coil and or eliminate it as the problem and know which side of the circuit is the issue (here is where a scan tool can really help and is sometimes needed to locate the source of the problem). One thing to check is the ignition module mounted to the side of the coil bracket. There is also the crank sensor, from this you would be able to see a tiny flutter on an tachometer (better viewed on a scan tool) to see if it has failed. With this it should at least hopefully help you narrow down and or find the problem, still as stated you may need a scan tool but as explained above are some things that you can check prior.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.