K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  24 yrs exp. Inboard/Outboard mechanic Mercury/ Mercruiser, Volvo Penta and OMC, Johnson/Evin.
13730749

Morning, I am changing the sending switch and gauge on my 3208

Customer Question

Morning, I am changing the sending switch and gauge on my 3208 engine. The replacements were purchased from a Cat dealer. The original sending unit was a single wire unit the new one has two connections. The Cat part #'s are Sender unit #7E-4275 and the matching Gauge # ***** ***** I need to know how to rewire these unit. Thank Tom
Category: Boat
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is Kerry
If it's a switch and it only has one wire, it closes to engine ground.
If it's a switch and has two connections it closes between the two connections.
You can hook the wire to one terminal and run a wire from the other terminal to engine ground, anywhere convenient.
The same is true for a guage sender, if the original only has one wire, you can connect that wire to the sender and put the other sender terminal to ground.