Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

I have a 1998 Baja 180 with a Mercury 5.0 the steering to starboard

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Baja 180 with a Mercury 5.0 the steering to starboard side is very hard and starboard side of the manifold is very hot.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. As for the steering, the problem can be either the steering cable is getting stiff in the last part going out or else there is a problem with the gimble. What i suggest you do is to remove the steering cable from the steering arm behind the engine and see if the cable on its own is free on both sides. Also you car try moving the drive by hand to both sides. Like this you can determine from where the problem is coming. If it is the cable you would need to replace the cable up to the steering, whilst if it is the gimble you would need to dismantle to see exactly where is the problem ( this job i suggest you get a mechanic).
As for the manifold, when was it the last time the manifolds where replaced? If more the 5 years i suggest you replace them. If less then you would need to open the manifold and riser and check for any blockages.
If you need further assistance let me know.
Noel
did you manage to check from where the problem is coming? If you need further assistance let me know.
Noel