Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 2014 300 Verado its on a 25' Bennington pontoon, has

Customer Question

I have a 2014 300 Verado its on a 25' Bennington pontoon, has 20.7 hrs on it, never had a problem! But today took it out, batteries were fully charged, backed it in the lake and it started instantly. Let in idle for 10 mins while waiting for my son. We headed across the lake maybe 3 miles turning about 4000 rpm, found a place to stop and let the kids swim, turned the motor off after 10 mins decided to try a different spot. Turned the key, got the beep and the motor wouldn't turn over, the safety switch was fine and made certain it was in neutral. Make several attempts and nothing, it acted just like the shifter was not in neutral, all the smart gauges showed "all ok" no codes, nothing indicated a problem, it nerve attempted to turn over, again the shifter was in neutral, the safety switch was on and the batteries showed 13.9 volts
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.

Were you using the key to start or the push button?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried both several times
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Did you happen to notice the oil pressure while you idled the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No but no alerts or warnings and the smart craft gauges checked engine ok
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
So all that you had was the one beep, and the engine would not turn over?

Did you hear the starter engage the flywheel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I couldn't really hear much, you could hear a click but that's all, the engine water temp showed on the smart gauge 165
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok,
What I am going to need you to do is to remove the upper cowl, then the flywheel cover. press down of the flywheel and try to turn it in either direction. Lets just see if the engine will move at all.

Is there a primer bulb in your fuel line, and if so, do you use it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We tried to move the fly wheel with the cover off and you can move it slightly and you can tell the motor is not seized up, Verados don't have primer bulbs
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
I do know that the Verado is supposed to not have a primer bulb, but I do see allot of them that do.
Can you try the starter with the cover off the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still nothing, it acts like the is a master switch/relay that's over or tripped but I can find one, while I had the cover off I found some fuses but they were all fine
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok,
The Verado has several relays on it. One of them is the main power relay. It could have failed. It is the one with all red wires in the back of it. You can swap it with a trim relay. they are all the same relay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the main relay for only starting and running the motor?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
No it controls everything on the engine. There is also a start relay. It will have a yellow/red wire on the back side of it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no way I can check the relays
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Really only by swapping them. That is what I would do in the shop. You are also still under the factory warranty. Is there a dealer near you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No dealer close, that's my challenge, I was wondering if there was some common problem
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing that I know of. I work at a full line dealership during the day. I only work on outboards, and I have all of the service bulletins. I cannot think of one that would cause this on your engine. That is why I am saying to swap the relays.

You can use the trim relays, they have a blue and a green wire on the back of them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm almost certain it's a relay type problem
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
You have 5 total. 2 for trim, one main power, one for start, and one for fuel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where are they located, are they the same so I can put the trim relay on the the starter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll give it a try
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I talked to Mercury today and they think it's the relay
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
LOL, did you try and swap them out today?
We figured out that it was more than likely a relay last night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The starter was out!! It's freak because no hint of a problem, just one min it worked and the nexted it didnt
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
That is a really strange one. I have never had a Verado starter fail.