Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Cant get my boat to turn over no power to the starter

Customer Question

cant get my boat to turn over no power to the starter
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** you have a volt meter to do some voltage testing? Did you check the inline fuse on the start solenoid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked that it is good I have voltage to the fuel solenoid also it clicks when I try to start it with the key
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a meter also to check things
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok we need to do a voltage test at the start solenoid when you turn the key to crank position. We also need to check for voltage to the yellow/red wire terminal on the start solenoid. For test purposes get a piece of wire and jump from the battery cable connection # ***** to the yellow/red terminal # ***** of the solenoid does the engine crank? http://i.imgur.com/8QXDtiD.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to be trying to start with the key at the same time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does crank when I connect 6 & 3
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
No this test bypasses all the other switches this is direct. If it does nothing we have a voltage issue. Test the voltage at # ***** when you jump from #6 to 3. What is your voltage reading.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry it does crank from 3 to 6 and the starter engages
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok now we need to check for voltage on # ***** with the key switch. Turn key to crank position. Do you have voltage at # *****?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the key switch from the OMC Control when I try to start it there the fuel solenoid pulls in and I have voltage there so I am not getting power to the starter solenoid is what I am thinking so could it be the voltage regulator?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no voltage at the solenoid #3 when I try to start it with the key
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
No the voltage regulator has nothing to do with the start circuit.We need to test the voltage at the key switch from red to yellow/red when cranking. Do you have voltage? We could have a bad key switch or a bad neutral safety switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I know the key switch is working I get power to the fuel solenoid at least that is clicking and engaging because I have power to the terminal block
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The key switch does more than just supply power to the choke solenoid. It also so supplies power to the start solenoid when cranking. Now since you don't have voltage at the yellow/red on the start solenoid that tells me either the key switch isn't sending voltage or we have a bad neutral safety switch. We must verify that the key switch is sending voltage to the yellow/red wire. We cannot assume the switch is getting voltage to the yellow/red till we test it. So test for voltage between 4 and 5 on the key switch when cranking. Do you have voltage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What terminals on the terminal block are the key switch. I have 1=yellow
2=yellow /gray
3=gray
4=red
5= purple
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
I have never mentioned terminal block. The key switch has nothing to do with the terminal block. You have to check the voltage at the key switch. # ***** & 5 are in the diagram I posted earlier. The yellow/red wire runs from the key switch through the neutral safety switch to the start solenoid. If you look at the terminal block there is no yellow/red. The wires on the terminal block have to do with the charging system. Nothing to do with the start circuit. In this diagram are all the components of the start circuit same as your engine. http://i.imgur.com/8QXDtiD.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so how do i get to the wiring on the switch
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Where is the switch> Can't you access the switch from behind or is it in the control box. If it is in the control box you will have to pull the control box apart.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so its a OMC control box and there is a slotted screw and a pilips screw how do you take that apart the throttle is also there
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
First you have to remove the control box from the side of the boat then remove the screws holding the control box together. There are 2 screws attaching the control to the side of the boat. Once removed there are 3 screws on the back side. Remove those screws and the box will split apart. Then you can access the key switch and the neutral safety switch. Does this look like your control?http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1982/J235TLCNE/REMOTE%20CONTROL/parts.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found it it is the neutral safety switchThank you for your help
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok great. Your welcome..........Thank you.......Tan