Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a candia 200 four winns boat that runs but when trying

Customer Question

I have a candia 200 four winns boat that runs but when trying to go fast it sounds like the engine is racing but loses power and won't go fast? any thought on what to check?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

When you say the engne is racing but looses power. Do you mean that the rpms start to go down on the engine? Or do you mean that the RPMS are high, but there is just no thrust from the propeller?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The boat starts normally and will run at low speed and acts fairly normal but when attempting to go fast it will begin to go a little faster the bow starts to go up and then it seems to loses power (like the propeller is not spinning or not spinning as fast as you would expect) If I back down on the speed it seems to run normally can't get it to go fast enough to plain out. It almost feels like when a car's transmission slips.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I gotcha, and I know whats wrong. Have you ever heard of a propeller hub before?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The inside of the prop uses a hard, press fit rubber hub. The hub is the connection between the propeller shaft and the popeller. It's design is sacrificial in that if you ever hit the bottom, the hub would slip and sacrifice itself so you don't damage the rest of the drive, or it's gears or shafts. They spin if you hit something, and they also can spin if they are old props, as rubber does dry rot and shrink over time. Once they have spun, they will grab somewhat at lower rpms, and then let go when you really put the power down. And this is the slipping that you are feeling.

You can send the prop out to have it re-hubbed, but there is usually some down time with that. Most folks will buy a new prop so they can use the boat right away, and then send out their old prop, and keep it for a backup when they get it back in. If you don't know where the closest propeller repair shop is to you, simply call any dealer as all dealers work with propeller repair shops. This does not have to be a mercury dealer, you could call any dealer as a prop is not really brand specific. More than likely that dealer will offer to send the propeller out to be repaired for you. Figure on 1/2 the cost of a new propeller, roughly 75 to 100, to have a new hub installed into your propeller.

I think that should do it. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just incase you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, just reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not lose out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next week with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating

If I do not hear back from you I thank you in advance and good luck!

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, just checking in. Any luck?