Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

Sucked up sand and into the xl1200 waverunner, now it

Customer Question

sucked up sand and crap into the xl1200 waverunner, now it is water fouling a plug or two, it runs fine first few minuets than starts missing and sputtering water from front pisser
pull plugs to find water one maybe two
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
think I may need to replace head gasket
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
Sucking up sand would not directly cause water in the cylinders esp plug fouling, however with that said it could cause overheating which could lead to head gasket failure and or if you have exhaust gasket failure on the jacket that could also allow water into the cylinders. First step would be a compression check and leak down check, if a leak is found such as head gasket then replacing said head gasket as the repair.
You may also find an ir temp gun to benefit you in finding a overheat problem and also checking the head temp.
In sucking up sand and seeing stream slow you would also want to flush out the cooling system, it's a possibility if you pull the head cover you will find sand and if so you have found your problem, it is common for the sand to get stuck in areas. On customers pwc that are known to possibly have a problem like this I highly recommend an in-line water strainer filter (simply as cut the input/intake water hose and put the filter in) thus if it ever happens again the same is stuck in the filter and cannot pass it then all that is needed is to empty said filter. They are actually really nice to have.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.