Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 2004 200 hp 2 stoke from 2004 that has been lying

Customer Question

I have a 2004 200 hp 2 stoke from 2004 that has been lying stored for 5 years. Starts fine, runs well, but stops after 20 minutes. Looks like overheat. Any clues for how to solve?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** over heat issue can be solved by replacing the water pump in the lower unit. I would also change the fuel filters, thermostat and change the gear lube in the lower unit. Also replace the spark plugs. To change the water pump drop the lower unit remove the water pump. I would do a complete water pump kit. Is this something you can do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought it was fuel related and bypassed the fuel system direct to the engine filter (which I had cleaned) - no impact. I don't quite see the connection between the gear lube and the fact that the enginestops when warm (typically 10 mins operation). The cooling water is comming out at increased strength (by rev/load), suggesting impeller and waterpump is functioning. That leaves the thermostat - it probably does not open. Will locate and replace. Let me know if my logic is flawed.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hi. This was the info you gave me. "Starts fine, runs well, but stops after 20 minutes. Looks like overheat". Any clues for how to solve? What would you get from that info. The water pump and gear lube are because it has been sitting for so long. The thermostat is part of the cooling system that could fail just from age this is more preventive maintenance than anything.The water is going to leave you stranded as it is old. When you have the lower unit off you might as well replace the gear lube. When you said "looks like over heat" the engine will go into a power reduction mode which could be the water pump. So what part don't you understand? To me from just your statement alone the water pump should cover the issue. Manufacturers recommendations on the water pump are every 200 hours of use or every other year service water pump.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
There are a couple if tests you can perform when running the boat just incase the water pump doesn't solve the issue. When the engine start to slow down choke it. Does it run better?\? If no change squeeze the primer bulb. Does the engine run better? This will take care of any fuel related issue for trouble shooting. If none of these tests change performance then you have an ignition related issue. Post back with questions and findings.