Diesel Boat Doc
Diesel Boat Doc, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  35 YEARS MARINE DIESEL BOAT REPAIR
21708980

Jason, I'm buying a boat with a 71C Velvet drive that

Customer Question

Hi Jason,
I'm buying a boat with a 71C Velvet drive that reportedly has no neutral, but Fwd and reverse work fine. I've read a lot of posts in various forums and am thinking the most likely causes are a stuck pressure regulator piston -or- the spring and ball on the shift lever are missing or damaged. I've only been able to visually inspect it and the shift lever is quite rusty and the fluid looks terrible.
Thoughts??
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Jason here. Whom am I speaking with?
What you want to do is remote the shift cable and shift it by hand. If it shifts good my hand the shift cable (and also possibly the remote controller) need replacing. If it doesn't shift correctly, the trans needs a rebuild.
Did you have any other questions about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was figuring it needed a rebuild. I already have a rebuild kit, but I was hoping I could get it working properly in the short term by doing something with the shift valve. What is the effect of a stuck pressure regulator? I've read that it causes excess leakage through the valve and actuates the clutch packs, even in the neutral position. I'll certainly take the shift cable off and try it manually first thing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BTW - I'm Barry Thanks for your help
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
To be honest I don't know. I'm just a boat mechanic, not a transmission rebuilder. If I had your problem in the shop I would pull the trans out of the boat and send it off to be rebuilt. The person that pulls/installs the trans and the person that rebuild it are 2 different jobs.
I will opt out.
Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - Thanks!
Expert:  Diesel Boat Doc replied 1 year ago.
what is happening is the forward clutches are sticking or warped and don't disengage fully.
You will need to replace the clutches.