Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2004 Suzuki df 250 outboard. Is this motor equipped

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Suzuki df 250 outboard. Is this motor equipped with a built in oil pressure and temperature warning light or buzzer ? Also what would be the correct temp and oil pressure at idle 1000 rpms ?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with. Yes it is. Do you need help troubleshooting a problem or do you just need pressure and temp specs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jason.........This is Bob

The oil pressure gauge only shows a few pounds of pressure at 1000 rpm. I just wanted to verify the correct operating range

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bob. The actual spec they list in the service manual is 57 to 85 psi at 3000 rpms. They don't list an rpm number just for idle. The general "rule of thumb" for any engine is the engine should have a minimum of 10 psi for every 1000 rpms. That being said, gauges and oil pressure sending units go bad all the time. What you should do not (or have done) is remove the oil pressure sending unit and plumb in a mechanical gauge and check the pressure manually. If it's still low, the block needs to get opened up. If it's good, it's just an electrical issue.

There isn't a a temperuature specifcaiton. But thermostat should be full open by 144F, and these engines typically run 160 to 170F on average when fully warmed up when the engine is at or close to top speed. At idle speeds the temps will be a little lower.

I don't know how you want to leave this. But that is where you stand on your end and really what needs to be done. I do want to make sure you are happy with the service I am providing to you before you go. Did you have any other questions on the issue or do you think that covers it? -Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The boat does not have a oil pressure gauge. The 2 psi that I was reading was actually the water temperature guage with the egine running off a garden hose and ear muffs.

What type of warning alarm would I hear or see if the oil pressure, water pressure or engine temp is not within the operating range ?

Thanks,

Bob

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bob. I'm confused. You just wrote "The 2 psi that I was reading was actually the water temperature guage"

Pressure is read on a pressure gauge. Temperature is read on a temperature gauge. You can not read pressure on a temperature gauge.

Can you clarify that for me.....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry the 2 psi is the water pressure guage

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
In your initial question you asked what good oil pressure and temperature should be. Are you also needing to know what good water pressure should be, or am I not understanding you correctly?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hey Bob, are you still with me?