Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

We followed your instructions regarding the gears and we now can get it in forward, but no

Customer Question

We followed your instructions regarding the gears and we now can get it in forward, but not neutral. The prop spins forward in neutral. and will not spin freely when hand control is in neutral
what other details do you want?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. What is this in regards ***** ***** have no idea what engine you are talking about? I have no history on what you are working on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mercury 150, 1994, xr6, I changed the imperller and now can't get it into or out of gear. I have a record of the last question number I sent you two days ago
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok you are not getting the shift shafts lined up correctly. The shift still isn't lined up correctly. When you had the lower unit off did you put it in forward gear? Was the prop locked when you rotate the prop Counterclockwise? If you don't hold pressure on the prop when installing it to the motor it will fall out of gear. Let me ask you this did the shift work before you removed the lower unit? If yes then you are not getting the shift rods lined up correctly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have tried it several ways and can't seem to solve the problem. My shift rod is only about 3 or 4 inch long and has grooves around it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, we did put it in forward gear, then put the unit back on holding pressure CWC on the prop and had turned the shift rod CW until it locked in place.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Correct if you don't get the grooves in the correct groove it will not shift correctly. We know it is an alignment issue as it shifter before you worked on the lower unit. Sometimes the shift cable can be out of adjustment and the shift rods won't line up correctly. Remove the shift cable then put lower unit in forward gear locking the prop. Then put engine in forward gear now install lower unit. There is no other way to do this. Once you get the lower unit up in place check that it shifts correctly.