Yachtwork
Yachtwork, Marine Engineer
Experience:  MEC3 and RYA Yachtmaster Ocean
10951514

My three cylinder lugger engine in a northern lights generator

Customer Question

My three cylinder lugger engine in a northern lights generator Will run but very rough with the engine pre heat bypass pushed. As soon as I let go of the pre-heat it will stop. Any thoughts?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This boat is new to me, generator ran fine on sea trial, and ran it a few times since, the last two times I ran it, it would shut down after running less than an hour, engine temperature and oil pressure seem fine when checked
Expert:  Yachtwork replied 1 year ago.
This sounds like a fuel issue to me. Especially on a new to you boat. I would first change the primary and secondary fuel filters. Be sure to drain them completely when changing the primary. The secondary should be just a spin on. Then bleed the diesel again and try starting.
Holding the preheat also deactivates the overheat and low oil pressure cut outs. This is not a bad thing, but something to remember when trouble shooting.
Also at the injection pump, on the top, is a small, 10mm (should be anyway) diesel bleed. Slightly open that while bleeding and be sure you get good fuel flow.
Let me know what happens after you change the filters.
Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure how this site works never was asked for email?
Expert:  Yachtwork replied 1 year ago.
I think now you tell me if the idea helped, and you can click the accept if you are satisfied. That way I'll get paid for my service.
Thanks for asking.
Scott