Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

My 1979 Evinrude 85 HP tilt is leaking badly at the manual

Customer Question

My 1979 Evinrude 85 HP tilt is leaking badly at the manual release screw/ valve. Can the oring be replaced without removing the entire unit ? And, which direction, CW or CCW is correct for normal operation ?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.
The O rings can be replaced. There is a small C clip holding the valve in place, make sure you get this out first or you will damage the valve. In normal operation the valve is turned in CW until seated. To manually bypass turn the valve out 2 to 3 turns but don't damage the O rings on the C clip.
Have the engine supported while replacing the O rings. refill with Dexron ATF when fully tilted then operate up and down a few times, it is self bleeding.