Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

How do you free a seized steering cable thru the tilt tube

Customer Question

How do you free a seized steering cable thru the tilt tube on a 60 horsepower mercury 2004 ?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
What you have to do is remove the end link on the outboard side of the cable. Remove the large nut on the opposite side of the cable. And then with a block of wood and a hammer drive the cable out of the tilt tube. From there you can clean up the outside of the cable with sandpaper. And to clean the inside of the tube use a 12 gauge shotgun barrel cleaning brush on the end of a cordless drill. After it's clean lube up the outside of the cable and the inside of the tube with some good waterproof grease and reassemble.
I think that should do it but I do want to make sure you are happy with the service I am providing to you before you do the ratings. Did you have any other questions on the process or do you think that covers it? -Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping you would reply back but it looks like you read my response and logged off. Just incase you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. Questions do not lose out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating
If I do not hear back from you I thank you in advance and good luck!
Jason