Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I submitted a question a few

Customer Question

Hi, I submitted a question a few minutes ago and got to the where I submitted my cc#. My wifi dropped and an never saw any response. My problem was with a 1989 40hp Johnson not starting and adjusting the manual valve.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** referring to the primer solenoid with the red lever? What seems to be the start issue?Has the engine been sitting?Could I get the engine model number please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes sir. The primer solenoid. The engine had been sitting for a year. All the gas was replaced and both carbs were removed and cleaned. I do not have the model number with me right now but can get it later today or tomorrow. As for the start issue, the engine turns fine and fires but won't start. The guy I sold it to messed with the solenoid valve and so we tried to adjust to start. When you go to either extreme the engine backfires.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Backfire is usually a lean fuel condition. Here is a diagram of the positions. http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/jacksparrow1956/2012-02-03_025645_scan0001.jpgWe need to test the primer solenoid pull one of the hoses off that go to the top of carb. Then squeeze the primer bulb with primer in the prime position do you get fuel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will need to check this week end. This is great help. Wish I had the chance to go work it today. If in the prime position and I do or don't get fuel what else might I need to check Tan?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok if you get no fuel the primer solenoid lines are clogged with old fuel. If you do get fuel the engine could be flooded from being in the prime position to long or you have an ignition issue. Post back with findings and we can continue.