Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Bayliner ciera 2450 dockside power

Customer Question

This is my first time ever using dockside electrical power. My Fridge works and the outlets work to plug in devices. But neither my cabin lights nor CD player work. How do I get those working without using my battery?

Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** those components are 12 volts so you have to use the battery. Do you have a battery charger on the boat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. But I guess I can put on in there, since I can plug it in. Any recommendations on the kinda battery charger to get?

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Since that boat has a fridge and ac outlets they usually put a charger on these boats. Sometimes they call them a converter. Look in your AC panel and see if there is a breaker labeled.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

K...I'm gonna run to the Marina to check. Thanks. brb!

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me know how many batteries you have and what 12 volt accessories are on the boat. Also is the fridge a 12 volt DC and 110 volt AC?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok it shows a battery charger 3rd one down. The light is lit next to the breaker indicating the charger is on. Now we need to find out if the charger is working. Do you have a volt meter to test the charge of the batteries? We need to check voltage at each battery. Turn the charger off and check battery voltage then turn battery charger on and check battery voltage. Is there is difference with charger on and off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll run home and get my voltmeter. But here's a couple pics.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok.Is there only one battery? Do you have a battery switch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have only one battery. Yes. But I do have a switch. Just don't know how to use it or configure it. Should I get another battery?

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
That depends on how many accessories you have that will drain the battery. Usually on a boat like this you have 2 batteries one for the engine and one for the accessories. Personally I would have 2. Now since you have a battery switch it is probably already wired for another battery. Now if this switch is only an on/off switch it won't be wired for 2 batteries. The dual battery switch will have multiple positions. 1,2 both and off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's not a good picture, and I don't know why it always posts twice. But the switch has for battery 1 and 2 and ALL

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So, I guess I need to figure out how the heck to run another batter to the other battery terminal on the switch then, and use that one. But I don't know which is the cable(s) going to the battery that come from the charger, or where the charger even is located for that matter. But on the tests with the voltimeter. It seemed like the battery dropped from 12.6+ down to 12.55. And then after I turned off the charger for around 15 minutes, it came back up to 12.58. Unless my mind is just playing tricks with me. I was getting eaten alive by mosquitoes, so I'm not 100% sure. But I'll check tomorrow if the charge came up above 12.58, in which case I guess that means there is a charger charging. Thanks

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Usually you can put the other battery right next to the other battery. Now I have run across these older boats where the battery switch was installed but it wasn't wired for the extra battery. Now lets be sure if there is a charger it works. The charger will be connected directly to the battery and it will have an inline fuse.Due to the age of the boat I'm sure the wiring has been changed more than once. I can help with the wiring. But lets see if the charger works. They can get expensive depending on what you want. Post back with findings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That breaker on the AC panel is the power on/off to my refrigerator, incidentally, and I'm purty sure there is nothing charging my battery.

So, I got another idea. Tell me what you think: I'll use a separate battery for my cabin lights and keep an battery tender on it that's plug into an outlet while docked. Can you foresee any problems if I improvise like that?

Thanks!

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
That works perfectly fine. Many people do this. Thank you Tan Post back if you need further assistance.