Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a westerbeke marine generator that works fine -5

Customer Question

I have a westerbeke marine generator that works fine for 4-5 hours then cuts out. It appears the battery power goes low.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
If voltage drops too low the system can shut down.... when you have to charge the battery to get it to start/run again this confirms a voltage problem. First step is to fully slow charge and load test battery, if good then you start engine and using a voltmeter you check battery voltage with engine running, 12.6vdc is static battery voltage, anything lower and it will drain the battery, normal systems sit usually between 13.4ish volts and 14.2 volts dc. This will then confirm to you if you have a charging system failure.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.