Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

My 1993 Johnson Fast Strike 150 has been sitting months.

Customer Question

My 1993 Johnson Fast Strike 150 has been sitting for 20 months. When I tried to start it it would idle roughly like on bad gas so drained entire tank and replaced plugs and several gas lines and oil hose and drained old gas from carbs. refilled with 38 gallons of fresh gas. engine started and ran on land with hose bib and started in lake but killed when put under load. My mechanic friend who did all this to my engine thinks we need to reset gap on all plugs. what advice can you give me?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
All outboard troubleshooting starts by checking compression with a compression gauge, and by checking spark output with an adjustable gap spark tester. Has that been done yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** don't have tools for that but might be able to locate some
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after the things we did it's the first time I can remember the engine starting with little choking and almost no smoke. I was encouraged by that and for many yrs the engine alarm has gone off at idle speed but went away as I accelerated. My friend/mechanic found the oil supply hose almost not connected inside the engine when he was replacing that hose and now the alarm is not coming on which is encouraging.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The tools can be had at better auto parts store. Watch this video in the link below, this is where you would start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSmNMWTDtZE
Did you want to do the tests and get back to me, or what would you like to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess we'll have to start there. it will be a day or two as my guys are under a deadline to finish a job by tomorrow. do we leave this conversation open?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
There are no time limits here, reply back after you have done the tests and we can go from there. -Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you send me an email for a direct contact? I'm not real computer literate. just enough to get me in trouble!
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Well.... Yes and no. The website/Justanswer allows for website interaction only for the amount you paid. They do offer off website contact (Ie Email, or if you would like a phone call) but they do charge extra for it (30$). What I will do is send you the information on that to your email address that you registered to the site with. If you prefer email or phone, you can accept that offer. If you prefer to stick with the website, you can just ignore or decline the offer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just talked to my guys and they believe compression fine as no smoke at all. we will check spark plug gap. one suggested possible stator problem as he had a similar problem on his Merc a few yrs ago. I'll get back to you when I have more info.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The compression still should be checked... The last 4 people that told me their compression was "fine" all had low compression after I pressed them to check it. It's a 10 minute check, and it really needs to be done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, keep me posted.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron, are you able to reply here?