Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a Perkins 4.154 marine diesel engine that runs

Customer Question

I have a Perkins 4.154 marine diesel engine that runs for approximately 30 / 40 seconds and then shuts off as if you turned off the key. I thought it was a fuel delivery problem but everything in the fuel system has been changed ( from cleaning the tank, to replacing everything from the pick-up tube, fuel lines, filters, injection pump and injectors) and I still have the same problem. I even changed the exhaust system thinking that there may have been a blockage. The engine still does the same thing. My question is this, where do I go from here? I'm at my wits end please help.
Thank you in advance,
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is Tan. Have you checked to make sure there is no air in the fuel system? Is the air intake clean and clear. If you have air in the fuel system or getting air in the system it will cause this issue. If the air intake is clogged or restricted it will also cause this issue. Now you could have a stop control fault. This control shuts off the fuel supply to the engine.