Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

2011, 90 hp outboard, have fire, but seems to be getting oil

Customer Question

2011, 90 hp outboard, have fire, but seems to be getting oil to cylinder, but no gas
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure about the carb system on this motor
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, can I get that number please.
Next, I read what you wrote, but what seems to be the problem. Are you having a no start situation or something else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mark
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no start, pulled plugs, they are wet, dryed them off, plenty of fire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1b840628
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hey Mark... What is the serial number on the engine?
Also... You said there is plenty of fire... There are about 50 wrong ways to check for spark and 3 right ways. How exactly how you checking for spark?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
coil to plug, and through plug
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I got the serial number. This is an Optimax engine and it requires many many specialty tools to troubleshoot. What kind of questions did you have, and how can I be of help to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I figure the little box on the side, where fuel comes in, is the pump, what is the bigger block it goes into
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The vapor tank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and the red thing on top, is that the filter? Im a fair motor man, but this is strange to me.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
That would be a fuel filter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so if im not getting enough fuel, it could be the filter, or maybe a diafram in the pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im not impressed with this, and feel it wasted my money.....good bye
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello Mark, my name is***** you still require assistance with your Optimax? I know then rather well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did'nt get much out of the other guy, and he took forever to get back with me. I have traced my fuel problem to the needle and seat, cleared that, now the fuel is to the rail, but is squirting out of the top.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
You are getting fuel squirting from the top of the rail? If so, there is a schreader valve there, make sure it is tight. A tool like a tire valve stem tool is required to tighten it. If that is not it, can you post a pic of the leak here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are 2 holes on top of the rail, one is the fuel line, the other is open, and about the size of a nickle, that is where im getting fuel coming out
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Are you missing part number 2 or 4? http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/115%20Pro%20XS%20%283%20CYL.%29%281.5L%29/1B751825%20%26%20Up/Fuel%20Rail/parts.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, # ***** plug is gone, I will have to look and see if its inside there someplace.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
It should be in the lower cowling.