Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Motor cuts out when trimed up is there a safety switch that

Customer Question

motor cuts out when trimed up is there a safety switch that stops you from over trimming
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, can I get that number please.

Next, what exactly is the engine doing/what kind of problem are you having?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my name is ***** ***** shuts down when trimmed up. acts like the key has been turned off.is there a trim limit switch which keeps you from over trimming the motor at high speed ?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hey Steve, can I get that serial number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2009 60 hp bigfoot i don't have serial number at hand.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Okay is the engine 2 stroke or 4? Carbureted or fuel injected?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

4 stroke fuel injected

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
There are no trim sensors on the engine. That being said, how high are you trimming it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what stops you from trimming the motor to a full tilt position under full power? the old mercury's had a three button trim switch one which was a over ride for the trim limit switch.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

what stops you from trimming the motor to a full tilt position under full power?

Nothing stops you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is there a mercury kill switch on this motor?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

No, no switches, no sensors no nothing in regards ***** ***** trim system.

What is it your trying to do? How far in the trim range are you trying to run the enigne? Are you trying to run the engine at full trim up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

why is there a trim limit switch listed in the parts list ? as soon as i try to trim the motor it stops.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

What your looking at is an optional trim sending unit to run an analog trim gauge. It has nothing to do with the engines fuel injeciton system, just to run a gauge. It is not a trim limit switch.

Is your enigne stalling when you trim? If yes, does it stall as soon as you touch the trim button, or only when you get to a certain height?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

.stops when you trim up at a certain height. that's why i asked about the mercury safety switch.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Is the engine stalling or just cutting out?

Normal trim range is -5 degrees to +20, after that you get into whats called the tilt range. If you had to guess, are you trimming above 20 degrees?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

engine stops running. what would cause this above 20 degrees? is there something on the electrical side causing the engine to shut down?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
No nothing on the electrical side what would shut it off on purpose. The most likely reason for stopping when trimmed up to far is pinching the fuel line, or there is short in the main harness that is getting pinched when you trim up to far. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what color wire provides power to the ignition? i will test and see if voltage drops when trimmed.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thats not really the way the ignition system works. If anything what you would be better off doing after a visual inpsection is hooking up a fuel pressure gauge and seeing if pressure drops or not as the engine stalls. If it does, it's a fuel issue. If it does not, the you can go looking electrical, but it's not as simple as checking voltage on a wire. If anything you can take the harness that runs into the front of the engine and flex and twist and bend it to see if you can get it to stall that way. Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what powers the ignition system if not 12 volts dc power?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Here is an explaination of how it works from the service manual. Keep in mind this is the "short" version of it....

When the ignition key switch is turned to the "RUN" position, battery voltage is applied to

both the ECM through the purple wire and the MPR through the red/purple wire. As the

ECM receives the "RUN" signal, it internally completes the ground circuit of the main relay

for a period of two seconds, energizing the ignition/injection systems for start‑up. As the

engine is cranked with the starter motor, the ECM receives the output signal from the crank

position sensor (CPS) and completes the ground circuit to the main relay for engine

operation.

With the main relay closed (completed circuit), DC current from the battery/charging system

is transferred through the 20 amp main relay fuse to the positive terminal of all ignition coil

primary windings. The negative terminals of the ignition coil primaries are connected to the

engine ground through the coils internal driver, which is triggered by the ECM. With the

coil drivers closed, an electric magnetic field is allowed to build‑up within the ignition coil.

As the flywheel rotates, the CPS senses the location of the 54 teeth on the flywheel and

supplies the trigger signal information to the ECM. The ECM utilizes the CPS information

and determines when to adjust the trigger signal to the coil driver of each ignition coil. The

coil driver then opens the coil primary ground circuit which allows its magnetic field to

rapidly collapse across the coil secondary winding which induces a high voltage charge

(approximately 10,000 volts) that fires the spark plug.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the ecm and mpr need 12 volts when the key is in the on position?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is there any other safety switches that would cut off the 12 volts of power?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
No.... Thats why I said to check fuel pressure first, as thats a more likely scenario.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if the motor hits something and goes to a full tilt position will it keep running?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Yep.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what does a mercury safety switch do?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
What mercury saftey switch are you talking about? I thought we already established this engine did not have one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

THE ONE THAT STOPS THE MOTOR IN A FULL TILT POSITION

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
We already covered that this engies does not havet his switch. Are you not seeing/reading my replies?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

MERCURY HAS HAD SAFETY SWITCHES ON THERE OUTBOARDS SINCE THE 70'S YOU HAVE NOT ANSWERED MY QUESTIONS LIKE THE EXPERT YOU CLAIM TO BE I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE MY MONEY REFUNDED