Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

I have a Mercury 250 verado.It will run a minute

Customer Question

I have a Mercury 250 verado.It will run for about a minute and then act's like it is running out of fuel and die's.Changed oil and fuel filters and same thing.Ran good last year this started on the first trip this year 6/6/15 after sitting in a heated shop all winter. Wondering if you might have an idea?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.
To properly diagnose that engine you will need either CDS computer diagnostic system or a scan tool like Mercury's DDT. However there are a few things you can do.
First would be to run the engine on another fuel source such as a 6 gallon tank. If you still have the problem then we can rule out boat related problems like anti-siphon valves, fuel pickups etc.
If the problem is "cured" the problem is in the boat.
If it still quite then I would be looking at the lift pump. This is an electrically operated pump in the FSM, fuel supply module. It is in a "tank along with the high pressure pump on the lower back of the engine necessitating the cowls to come off.
If you have a fuel pressure gauge for fuel injection you can read the fuel pressure and if the pressure suddenly drops as the engine then dies, then the FSM is probably running out of fuel. Lift pump problem.
Due to the complexity of the repair, exact diagnosis and cost of the pump, about $280.00 I would take the engine to a qualified shop for diagnosis and replacement. We don't want to just chase parts, that gets expensive.
Let me know if I can help further.
Thanks