Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

1997 chaparral boat 454 kingcobra the boat does not start

Customer Question

1997 chaparral boat 454 kingcobra the boat does not start found out that the intefruptor module was burned as well as the tack finely got one and put it in started right up put it in the water ran for 5 mins did it again blow the thach as well as the module also the now noticed the main fuse had to be reset befor i could crank any idias ?? mod.no 74FEPHUB
SER NO T01286022
DRIVE UNIT TRANSOM # *****
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
At this point what is known, (electronic devices are blowing including fuses and frying instruments and modules). This tends to normally point towards excessive voltage such as a system that is overcharging is one thing that can cause this problem ESP if this ONLY happens with engine running, as a battery is 12.6vdc static voltage, when engine is running the charging system should have a max output around possibly 14-14.2vdc, you get a system showing say 16-18v or so and thus can be the problem, so the first check is system voltage with a voltmeter with engine running if good say 14vdc then move on to checking grounds and other connections as well as excessive amperage and checking for shorted/damaged wiring.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.