Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

I have a Suzuki DT15C that I bought used Phx. about 1500ft

Customer Question

I have a Suzuki DT15C that I bought used Phx. about 1500ft elevation. It ran and idled fine there. I live in Flagstaff 7000 ft. won't idle or clean out on main. only runs well on the pilot. I ordered a 125 main to replace the stock 145. Hopefully that will allow it to run on the main, but not sure what to do about the idle?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.
Keep in mind all fuel flows through the main jet which is a fuel jet. Idle is controlled by the pilot jet but the actual mixture is controlled by the idle mixture screw on top of the carb. So once you get the new main jet installed you can adjust the idle mixture to get a good idle. Initially you will want to set the idle mixture about 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated, and at elevation you may have to go in just a bit more. normal is 1 1/2 to 2 turns.
Turn it in until the idle comes up or the engine pops then back out about 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Run the engine in the water and see if it accelerates properly.
Also keep in mind your performance will be a little degraded from seal level so you may need to change propellers as well.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks Jeff, that helps. It will be a while before I can back to you, hopefully the parts will come in by the weekend so I can put it back together. I will stay in touch.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
See you then........