Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a problem when idling down it runs smooth but right before I ge

Customer Question

I have a problem when idling down it runs smooth but right before I get to neutral for wide open or half throttle it misses like it going to almost die than run smooth after 3 or 4 seconds.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, can I get that number please.
Have you checked fuel pressure, if so, what did you get for a number?
If fuel pressure ends up being within spec, the engine would need to get hooked up to a scan tool in order to figure out what is going on with it. I'm guessing you don't have one, so would best (educated) guess be okay, or did you need something more concrete?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the serial number is ***** That what I don't is the the fuel pressure number and no I don't have a scan tool. Seems like to me when I idle down its getting to much fuel and dies out runs dies out runs than finally runs smooths
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I can talk to you about the engine, and how it works (or is supposed to work) but I can't pinpoint your problem for you. What is it you are looking to do, or want/need from me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just wondering what else it could be but I guess nothing I was kinda are thinking it needed to be hooked up the a scan tool cuz I don't know either. Last time before I got the boat it was a fuel line but maybe need another line replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So do I need to pay 26 bucks for you just saying to check it with a scan tool
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry for the delay, i'm having some supper.
I had asked you "
If fuel pressure ends up being within spec, the engine would need to get hooked up to a scan tool in order to figure out what is going on with it. I'm guessing you don't have one, so would best (educated) guess be okay, or did you need something more concrete?"
The reason I asked you that is because if you just wanted to talk about it, and get an idea of how it works, I can definitely help you with that. But if you needed a concrete answer there would be no point in continuing as you simply wouldn't have the tools to troubleshoot. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I dont have no scan to the check it I'm just doing it my yard.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like your looking for a concrete answer, you should probably take it it. I will opt out. Good luck.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
The problem is the IAC. It is not opening fast enough to catch up with the air demands of the engine. So it is basically flooding or just running out of air. After the IAC is replaced the motor should run just fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok i will check that but im having a hard time finding it online of where its located on the motor and the part number.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
It is part 6 in the diagram. Copy and paste the link.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/MercuryMarine/0T800816/6993/120/Intake%20Manifold/parts.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh really thanks ill have to check that out tomorrow its bed time now.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome. I will be back online tomorrow after 530 PM CST.