Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

I have a 2005 mercury 9.9 bigfoot fourstroke. I bought it used

Customer Question

I have a 2005 mercury 9.9 bigfoot fourstroke. I bought it used from a local marina, and once started, I immediatly noticed the water flow through the indicator hole on the backside of the motor was only a trickle, so I ordered a quicksilver replacement and replaced the impeller. The motor still does the same thing, and I think its getting worse with less and less water from the indicator hole. There is however, water coming from the front of the lower unit out of a hole aboult half way between the cavitation plates and cowl... close to the shift linkage. I've tried looking for information on this, but I have been unsucessful in finding any info on this whatsoever.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.
Can I get the serial number as that is how we ID motors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes sorry it's OR376576
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Got it.
Have you tried blowing with compressed air back through the indicator hose? Easy to get an insect or debris blocking it.
Take the engine cover off. Near the bottom back of the exhaust plate on the port side of the engine is a fitting where the hose connects. Push a piece of wire into the fitting to make sure it is clear.
Water fills this cavity in the exhaust plate so you should get water quickly.
Is this a fresh water or salt water engine?
With the engine in the water or on a flushing devise, start it and see if the exhaust plate is getting hot or just warm. The thermostat is at the very top under small cover held in place with two screws.
You can remove the cover to see if water comes out. Shut the engine down immediately if you get water. It should take a few seconds to fill the engine. You may need to replace the gasket 27-853702005 but it is cheap.
I suspect you have a blockage in the exhaust cover fitting or the tube itself.
Try these things and post back your results.
Thanks